Our network

The Fraternal Order of Eagles, aerie #46 - Pearl & Tupper Sts. Buffalo | Arts & Culture

Title (Max 100 Characters)

The Fraternal Order of Eagles, aerie #46 - Pearl & Tupper Sts. Buffalo
The Fraternal Order of Eagles, aerie #46 - Pearl & Tupper Sts. Buffalo

 

July 27, 1914

In the presence of a crowd of 4,000 made up of Eagles of Buffalo, Lockport, Jamestown, Rochester, Olean, Tonawanda, Niagara Falls, Dunkirk & Depew the cornerstone of the new Eagles home at Pearl & Tupper streets was laid yesterday afternoon. ( July 26, 1914) 

Mayor Fuhrmann wielded the trowel, and the principal speech of the afternoon was made by Past Grand Worthy President Frank E. Hering of South Bend Indiana. Ernest W. McIntyre spoke of the history of aerie #46. Other Eagles of high standing in the state spoke as well. The cornerstone laying was preceded by a parade that formed at the site of the new building and after marching down Delaware through the business section, returned to Tupper & Pearl Streets. There were more than 3,000 persons in the line of march, which was headed by the grand & state officers.

   The new building will be ready for occupancy next February. It will be one of the handsomest in the city by appointment and will cost about $95,000.  The architecture will be Italian renaissance. It will be finished in grey brick and white mat glazed terra cotta....

 

Some interior views of the Eagles aerie in the 1920s. More views can be seen at the Buffalo History Gazettes' FB page.

 

Elmwood Businesses