Housing Grants, Renovated Apartments Available Through the Matt Urban Center | Families
The Lt. Col. Matt Urban Center announced this week that it currently has grant funds available for low-income homeowners to cover projects such as weatherization, down payment and closing cost assistance, home repair and more. Applications for apartments at HELP Buffalo II are also being accepted. Details of the programs are outlined below.
• Housing Opportunity Fund: In coordination with Evans Bank, N.A. and the City of Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency, owner-occupied home repair assistance and downpayment and closing cost assistance is available to a limited number of residents through the Housing Opportunity Fund.
• Housing Repair Program: The City of Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency is offering a 2017 Housing Repair Program for Fillmore and Lovejoy District homeowners. Funds are available for repairs such as roof replacement, installation of a new hot water tank, furnace/boiler replacement, fixing a break in your main water line or a break or collapse in your sewer line.
• Weatherization Grants: Program funds of up to $5,000 per structure are available to weatherize homes in the City of Buffalo. The program is available citywide to income-eligible owner occupants. Program applicants must be classified as one of the following: elderly (household income 80 percent or less of median income), disabled (household income 80 percent or less of median income), families with children (household income 80 percent or less of median income) or very low income individuals or families (household income 50 percent or less of median income).
• Lovejoy District Safety Program: This program will provide one free safety item to eligible Lovejoy District households. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are available while supplies last. Applicants must be low to moderate income.
• Hickory Street Apartments at HELP Buffalo II: Forty seven units located in a newly rehabilitated four-story apartment building at 368 Hickory St., Buffalo, are now available. The community consists of 16 one-bedrooms, 25 two-bedrooms and six three-bedroom apartments. Features include professional on-site management, handicapped accessible or adaptable apartments, close to public transportation, smoke-free living, community room, on-site laundry facilities, attractive grounds and outdoor space, bulk storage outside individual units, and Energy Star range and refrigerator.
Income and other requirements apply for all programs. For more information or to see if you are eligible, please call the Matt Urban Center’s Housing Department at 893-7222, ext. 214, or visit their location at 1081 Broadway, Buffalo.