Overnight Flames Scorch Louie's On Elmwood Ave. | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Firefighters had to battle the elements and the flames that erupted at an Elmwood Avenue hot dog restaurant early Saturday morning.
Employees say it sounded like a "jet engine" when the fire began at Louie's Hot Dogs at Elmwood and Hodge around midnight.
Firefighters say that's because a vent caught fire and nearly spread the flames through the entire building.
Thankfully, they were able to knock it down quickly when they arrived, though getting there wasn't easy.
"It's tough even getting to the scene of a fire like this, as everybody knows that tried to travel anywhere today," said Buffalo Fire Division Chief John Mogavero. "It takes us a little longer to get on-scene and once we get on scene the fire's progressed a little further than it normally would. We had crews making an entry to the restaurant literally with fire blowing out over their heads."
Everyone made it out safely, and nobody was hurt.
Damage is pegged at $200,000. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Upcoming Events near Elmwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location
- Drums Along the Waterfront Tour of Champions Event Announces Venue Change