Sophia's is worth the wait for a great breakfast | Restaurants
Since we can no longer visit Earl’s Drive-In, Sophia’s was the last restaurant to cross off our “Guy Fieri visited here” list. After watching their episode I wasn’t terribly impressed, sure the food looked alright but I’ve had plenty of good chicken souvlaki in diners around Buffalo and wasn’t so sure what was special about this place. But recently I had a conversation with my friend (and former contributor) Chris and he swore that Sophia’s was not only fantastic but they were serving the best breakfast in WNY. He warned about long waits at peak hours on the weekend and that a line forms at the door. When Alli, my brother Tom and I stopped by on a Sunday afternoon around 1pm we found a small line outside the doors and down the steps. Luckily, we didn’t have to wait too long and were sitting down at a booth within 20 minutes.
The inside of the restaurant appears to have received a facelift since their time in the spotlight in 2010, but the dining room is still pretty small and tight. If you sit near the back you’ll see one wall devoted to Guy’s visit and another to various boxers, with a few autographed boxing gloves on the wall as well. The service wasn’t amazing (although the place was packed). Tom ran out of Coke early into the meal and no one came by to ask about a refill and eventually a different server came over to give us our to go box and check. I’ll give the sub-par service a pass because the food was fantastic.
To read the rest of the article and see more pictures of their food, click here to see the entire thing at BuffaloEats.org!
Top Elmwood Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers