Buffalo State Community to Join in Honoring Newtown Victims Friday | Schools
The Buffalo State campus community will observe a moment of silence on Friday, December 21, to honor the victims of the Newtown, Connecticut, tragedy. The vigil will mirror remembrance ceremonies to be held in Connecticut on Friday morning where Gov. Dannel Malloy has called for a statewide moment of silence at 9:30 a.m., exactly one week after the shootings began.
The Western New York community is invited to join Buffalo State faculty, staff, students, alumni, current teacher education candidates, student teaching supervisors, and others for a brief ceremony on Friday at 9:00 a.m. in front of Rockwell Hall. After the ceremony and moment of silence, the Rockwell Hall clock tower will sound 26 times to honor the victims. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held in the Rockwell Hall lobby.
“The entire Buffalo State community is deeply saddened by the tragic school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and we join the nation in shock and sadness at the loss of so many lives in such an unthinkable way,” said Buffalo State President Aaron Podolefsky.
“With Buffalo State’s long history as an educator in the teaching field, we are acutely aware of the special environment classrooms provide for young children to learn and flourish, a place that was shattered by this horrible act of violence. Together, we offer our heartfelt sympathies to everyone whose lives have been forever changed by this tragedy and hope they find healing and peace in the time ahead.”
Top Elmwood Stories
Upcoming Events near Elmwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers